July 1971 – Indian Reservation by The Raiders

July 1971 – a song popular in this month – Indian Reservation by The Raiders

The song is about the plight of the Cherokee Indians, who in 1791 were displaced from their home in Georgia to a reservation in Oklahoma. Raiders frontman Mark Lindsay, whose ancestry was part Indian, thought that this would be a good song to record.

Interesting facts about Indian Reservation & The Raiders

The group was formerly known as Paul Revere and the Raiders. This song became not just their biggest hit, but the best-selling single for Columbia Records.

The last line of the song was prophetic. The Eastern and Western bands of the Cherokee Nation became one again on April 6, 1984 when the tribes officially reunited at the Red Clay Council Grounds (now a state park) outside Cleveland, Tennessee.

The song was first recorded in 1968 by a British singer named Don Fardon, whose version hit #20 in the US and #3 in the UK.

Isn’t it ironic that a song like this, brimming with simmering rage and an implied threat to retake the land for the natives, was written by a white Country songwriter, recorded by a band named after the white European patriots whose colonization of the US took the land from the Cherokees in the first place, and sold by Columbia Records, a company originating as “Columbia Graphophone Company” in the UK?

This information was provided by Songfacts.com

27 thoughts on “July 1971 – Indian Reservation by The Raiders

  1. The history of the song is rather ironic? Did I tell you that I recently found out that my grandpa was born on the Chickasaw Nation Reservation in OK? So not Cherokee but Chickasaw – blog to ponder on… Hope your pain is better today. ******** K x

    Liked by 2 people

  2. As a historian, I have one pet peeve with the song. They sing about losing the tomahawk, Bowie knife and the ability to make beads. By the time of removal, the Cherokee had adopted a different way of life. They had towns, mills, newspapers, plantations. The list goes on and on. They also had a 90% literacy rate while the rest of Georgia was around 10%.

    Liked by 2 people

  3. Wow, hadn’t thought or even remembered this song was out there…LOL having lived on a reservation in Washington as a child, I can understand there sorrow of the loss of what was once theirs…but a blast from my past for sure…..I read through and see you said you had a better night…I am so relieved for that…has you MD ever mentioned cranberries??? its a natural de-toxer for the bladder…helps keep it clean of bad bacteria..etc….Just a thought…xxxkat..

    Liked by 2 people

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s