2 weeks ago in my post ‘my struggle with cancer‘, I concluded with the following –
Bottom line is Bladder Cancer spreading to other parts of the body can be difficult to treat and the 5-year survival rate is very low.
While in the hospital, I spoke briefly with my Oncologist Dr. D. and will meet with her again in 2 weeks to discuss the options available in moving forward with my struggle with cancer.
In today’s post, I begin with the following –
It is now almost 5 weeks since my surgery took place. I have lost 22 lbs. in weight and though overall the recovery is taking place as expected, there are a few issues I am dealing with. These minor issues cause some discomfort for me, but with medications I am dealing with them. I continue to take some low dose pain medications and other medications to help me during my recovery.
This past week I had appointments with my Primary Care Manager Dr. W., Urologist Dr. P. and Oncologist Dr. D.
The appointment with Dr. D. resulted in her performing further research into my immediate future. I could do a wait and see approach; meaning do nothing and every 3 months have tests run to see if the cancer has returned. Another approach is a possible trial medication for people who have Stage 4 Bladder Cancer. This trial uses the body’s own immune system to fight any cancer cells that may be present. The downside is it could also fight the body’s good cells which could result in other issues. Dr. D. could administer this or it could possibly take place at a center that specializes in cancer treatment.
I meet with Dr. D. again in 2 weeks and this will give her time to see if my insurance will cover this type of treatment. She will also research to find cancer centers who can administer this type of trial treatment as well. With this information, it will provide me additional choices to make an informed decision concerning treatment for my cancer.
My appointment with Dr. P. was a follow-up to my surgery and to check in on my recovery. We also discussed him making a referral to another Oncologist for a 2nd opinion. Gary and I feel a 2nd opinion is important to ensure I am receiving the best care possible and having all possible options available to me.
The appointment with Dr. W. was to discuss some issues with pain I am experiencing in my lower back. I had this pain back prior to surgery and thought it was associated with all the other pain I was experiencing immediately prior to surgery. The pain is constant and is at its worse in the middle of the night to the point, I am unable to move or get out of bed. We do not believe the pain is associated to the surgery and could be caused from arthritis, or some other issue. I hope to resolve this pain soon.
More to come in the future weeks concerning what comes next in my journey with cancer.
Recovery continues with aches and pains related to surgery still present, but a little less with each passing day.